- $7.50 per student for Wellington Schools OR $10.00 for schools outside of Wellington
- Teachers and accompanying adults are admitted free
- We have a minimum session charge of $150.00 for all school group sessions
- MediaLab can host a maximum of 32 students. There is no minimum number
- Session prices are $20 per participant for Community Group bookings
- Your school will be invoiced after your visit unless otherwise requested
- Cancellations made within 15 working days before your visit will incur a cancellation fee of $80.00. Cancellations made within 5 working days will incur a cancellation fee of $150.00. Cancellations must be made in writing and received by email
- Please note that payment cannot be accepted on the day. An invoice will be emailed to your school after your visit
Note: The Ministry of Education funding subsidises our prices for school groups. Prices vary for non-school groups. If you are a non-school group and you wish to make a booking, please email email@example.com with your enquiry.
Curriculum Links – Cube Magic
View our table for Curriculum Achievement Objectives here.
The students will use their skills in and engage in collaborative thinking, creative problem solving and the visual arts during this session. Cube Magic supports the following curriculum links:
Visual Arts, Level 1-8 Achievement Objectives
Level 2, 3 & 4
Developing Practical Knowledge
Digital Technology, Level 1-8 Achievement Objectives
Level 2 & 3
Developing and Designing Digital Outcomes
- Managing Self
- Using Language, Symbols and Text
- Participating and Contributing
‘Cube Magic’ also links to STEM studies.
Download MagicaVoxel here: https://ephtracy.github.io/
MagicaVoxel is a free software that works on Mac and PC . It uses voxels which are basically cubes . You can place these cubes in a space and paint them to form buildings, characters, anything from real life!
What to expect from the space:
- Backpacks, hats, food, drink bottles and cell phones cannot be brought into OnTV or MediaLab studios. Storage bins are available, but space is limited.
- Food and water cannot be consumed in the main OnTV studio or MediaLab.
- Due to limited space, we can only accommodate your group during the scheduled session time.
- For breaks and lunch, we recommend you use the space under the sails on Queens Wharf, or nearby in Frank Kitts Park. During an OnTV session students are to bring their own personal water bottles and food is to be eaten outside of the premises.
- All social media sites are blocked on the MediaLab computers.
- 360-degree views of MediaLab can be viewed below. Other accessibility information can be found here. Please contact our bookings coordinator if you have any questions regarding MediaLab access.
What is expected of students and accompanying adults:
- Our MediaLab Coordinators are experienced professionals, following their instructions and guidelines will make for an enjoyable learning experience for the whole class.
- The booking teacher/school representative agrees to bring enough adults to fulfil their own school’s adult to child ratio policy and safely supervise their students during the visit according to our RAMs requirement. We suggest a ratio of 1 adult for every 8 students.
- In MediaLab, students work independently (or in pairs). Each student is responsible for their own learning experience.
- There may be the opportunity for students to share their work with the class. Students are expected to respect other ideas and creative thinking.
- We ask that all students treat the technical equipment and furniture with care, e.g. shoes must be kept off the furniture and no bouncing on the chairs.
- Children and students should be supervised at all times. Each group is assigned only one Studio Coordinator, so accompanying adults providing assistance or direction will make for a richer, more fulfilling experience.
- If students are disruptive in MediaLab or OnTV, accompanying adults may be asked to take them outside the teaching area until ready to return.
- Late arrival will result in a reduced programme. We advise all groups to arrive and wait under the sails outside of Capital E with one representative to check into PlayHQ reception at least five minutes before their start time. Please allow time to find parking or walk from your bus drop-off. If you are running late, please contact Capital E on 04 913 3740.
- We expect students to listen to instructions and treat differing ideas with respect. On the rare occasion of serious or unsafe behaviour, a teacher or guardian may be requested to remove disruptive students.
- For safety information, please make yourself familiar with our MediaLab RAMS, OnTV RAMS, and Tsunami Evacuation Map.